Monday, March 28, 2011

Can Indomie Noodles Be Effective To Human

Eduardo Mendoza and his "City of Wonders."

I must say that despite my fears that have accompanied me through the first few pages, "City of Wonders", Eduardo Mendoza's novel positively surprised me:) I bought it guided by a desire to learn a writer of whom much has been heard, and whose books have not yet had to deal with. On the lubimyczytac.pl came across the offer "City of Wonders," and not much thinking done it with the previous owner of the transaction. Later, when the book came to me anymore fear enveloped me, because after a recess in the book, I found that perhaps this time it hit, or rather, I found her choice of how to put a fence ... What I would like zaintersować in the history of a peasant who goes to Barcelona for work and there it was through machlojek and murder becomes the richest man in Spain? But in general it is not a literary circle of my interests!


After reading the novel by Eduardo Mendoza Fri "City of Wonders," I do not change their opinion as to the interests and themes, looking at the literature, I conclude, however, that once in a while a good story that goes beyond the topic of my 'boundaries of literary' is very welcome. This is what happened in the case of this very book.




"City of Wonders" is the story of life Onufry'ego Bouvily, fourteen young boy who the poor and humiliated by his father, arrives in a dark of Barcelona. Here in this town Humphrey wants to find a job and a better life for themselves.


In the beginning it is not easy, as it turns out, the end of the nineteenth century is not an easy time for Barcelona neither economically nor politically. Humphrey for a few days unsuccessfully looking for work and when no longer be kicked out of the inn where he lives, a helping hand to draw his landlord's daughter Delfina, who offers him a deal. She will give him money every week for peace, but he has to go to a certain place, and to cooperate with the mysterious people ... That is the way Humphrey hits in Anarchist circles. The boy worked to spread leaflets, mainly in built up World's Fair, fast wietrzy interest elsewhere. He begins to steal and sell the working people in the shows, the liquid for hair growth. Thanks to this proceeding slowly gaining money. Leeched also a shareholder, who will later accompany him for many years: Ephraim Castells.


That is where this brilliant, but full of violence, murder and embezzlement various kinds, a huge career Onufry'ego Bouvily. Starting at the age of fourteen, the boy slowly but consistently over time moving up the ranks of a social, financial and social. His sharp mind, a lack of fear and bravado in the candidates both in relation to these lower and higher levels, allow him to gain some kind of authority over Barcelona and Spain. Humphrey in his career comes to a point where it becomes one of nabogatszych people in the world. Pozbyty any skrupółów and remorse, he spends his life striving for what you wish for at the moment. In this way scores Dolphins first love - the landlord's daughter, later Margarita - his wife, and finally just want to get Maria ...


As I wrote earlier, "City of Wonders" positively surprised me. Even I did not think that this type of novel will appeal to me in so far as it happened. Surprised myself. Mendoza also surprised me, which I did not know wczśniej and which proved to be a very good writer. His novel reads well, despite the fact that the "City of Miracles" is saturated historical facts on the operation of Barcelona's nineteenth and early twentieth, will not interfere in any way in the receipt book. Even zaryzykowałabym say that it is enriched with an element that allows us to better understand the situation and choices Onufry'ego at the time. The book is very consistent, it seems to me to be thoughtful, and although the story itself villager (without odpowiednego education) for this type of incoming wealth and career for me is a total misunderstanding, I can say that I liked the novel and recommend it to anyone who just as I have wanted to risk ...:) To Mendoza definitely be back.




E. Mendoza, a city of miracles, Wydawnictwo Znak, Kraków 2010, s.460.

0 comments:

Post a Comment